Government files impeachment motion against Chief Justice Karki
Kathmandu, 30 April – The government has registered an impeachment motion against Chief Justice Sushila Karki at the parliament Sunday. Two hundred and forty nine parliamentarians from Nepali Congress and CPN Maoist Centre registered the motion.
One hundred and eighty nine parliamentarians from Nepali Congress party and 60 from Maoist Centre have signed the motion.
This is the first instance of registration of impeachment against Chief Justice in Nepal’s judicial history.
The Chief Justice is automatically suspended from her post with the registration of the motion. She was about to have mandatory retirement next month.
With this her security arrangements have been withdrawn. The letter informing about her suspension has been sent to the Office of the President.
Apart from other allegations, she has been mainly accused of intervening in executive’s jurisdiction while issuing order in appointment of the Inspector General of Police.
- Supreme Court issues show cause order in case concerning Regulation of Foreign Employment Agents
- Deaf voters demand voter education in sign language
- Supreme Court issues final verdict in cases concerning deaths of Nepali migrant workers
- Policy-level corruption plagues country: Lawmakers
- Consultation workshop on enter-educative audio-visual material held