Mom’s Momo and Deli to open on Derry Street, Pennsylvania with sandwiches, Nepali cuisine
East will meet west at a new business in Swatara Township.
Mom’s Momo & Deli will open in mid-May at a former Subway restaurant at 5550 Derry St. with sandwiches and Nepali cuisine.
Co-owner is Subash Sharma, a partner at the nearby Nirvana Kitchen in Susquehanna Township, who said he was looking for another business opportunity in the area. When he saw the Subway had closed, he said he wanted to bring deli fare back.
“We want to have the same kind of food. In addition, we want the Nepalese food, the dumplings and all,” he said.
In 2017, he opened Nirvana Kitchen, serving Indian, Nepali and Bhutanese foods. It was one of the first restaurants on the East Shore serving food from Nepal, and has since been joined by others including Everest Spice and Bhojan Ghar.
The Nepal population has grown on the East Shore in the past decade with a large concentration of families living in the Rutherford and Lawnton neighborhoods.
Sharma moved here from New York City where he worked in delis. He is also a partner at Pint’s bar on Fourth Street in Harrisburg.
He said Mom’s will be a new concept for the area. The restaurant will use Boar’s Head deli meats and cheeses for sandwiches and also serve Nepali specialties including momos, little purses of steamed dough accompanied by sauces.
In addition, Sharma said they will sell a hard-to-find specialty item but customers will have to wait. He’s keeping it under wraps until the opening.
Mom’s will be open Tuesday through Sunday. It will be closed on Mondays.
From Penn Live
- UN Security Council hails Qatar’s role in US-Taliban deal
- Qatar Airways makes temporary hold and schedule adjustments in services
- Qatar expresses its concern that Saudi didn’t allow Health Minister to attend GCC meeting
- Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs renews Qatar’s call to create binding security agreement for Middle Eastern countries
- She grew up in Nepal, calls Philadelphia home, and is working for Bernie Sanders in New Hampshire