New York bombs ‘were both shrapnel pressure cooker devices’
New York, 19 Sept – The bomb detonated on Saturday in New York, and another device found nearby, were both shrapnel-filled pressure cookers – similar to the bombs used at the 2013 Boston marathon, reports say.
Citing top law enforcement officials, the New York Times said the two devices used flip phones and Christmas lights to detonate the explosive inside.
The blast, in the Chelsea area of Manhattan, injured 29 people.
The FBI denied news reports that five people had been taken into custody.
The second device was found four blocks from the site of the explosion and was removed safely.
New York governor Andrew Cuomo said it appeared to be “similar in design” to the exploded device.
Both were different from a pipe bomb that detonated earlier on Saturday on the route of a charity race in New Jersey, Mr Cuomo added. That explosion caused no injuries.
The unexploded second device was destroyed by police in a controlled explosion late on Sunday.
No group has said it carried out the attack and police have yet to give any information about the five suspects arrested on Sunday.
Earlier on Sunday, New York Mayor Mayor Bill de Blasio said: “Was it a political motivation? A personal motivation? We do not know.”
“We know there was a bombing. We know it’s a very serious incident. But we have a lot more work to do to be able to say what kind of motivation was behind this.
“All possible theories of what’s happened here and how it connects will be looked at but we have no specific evidence at this point in time.”
Mr Cuomo said: “Whoever placed these bombs – we will find them and they will be brought to justice.”
Some 1,000 extra security personnel are being deployed to New York’s transport hubs, police said.
- Qatar’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs announces country’s new pledge of US$100m to alleviate suffering of Syrian people
- Qatar responds to false allegations by Saudi Authority for Intellectual Property (SAIP) on the ruling issued by the World Trade Organization
- Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs announces Qatar’s pledge of US $10 million for WHO to combat COVID-19 pandemic
- Qatar participates in Arab ministerial meeting to discuss developments in Libya, file of Renaissance Dam
- Qatar partakes in Extraordinary Virtual Pledging Conference of UNRWA