Charlotte protests: Police injured after black man shot
North Carolina (US), 21 Sept – Twelve police officers have been injured during protests sparked by the police shooting of a black man in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Demonstrators destroyed marked police cars around the block of flats where the shooting took place, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department tweeted.
One officer was hit in the face with a rock, it said.
Earlier on Tuesday, Keith Lamont Scott, 43, was shot by a black officer and died in hospital.
Police say he was carrying a gun and posed “imminent deadly threat”, but relatives told local media he was not holding a weapon but a book.
Protesters outraged over the incident blocked streets and police used tear gas, local media reported.
The unrest came a day after police in the city of Tulsa, in Oklahoma, said a black man they had killed on Friday was unarmed.
Hundreds of people have been protesting outside police headquarters there.
Terence Crutcher was walking away with his hands in the air when he was shot by police, footage shows.
In Charlotte, officers had been looking for a different suspect at a block of flats when Mr Scott was killed, police spokesman Keith Trietley said.
They saw Mr Scott get out of a car carrying a gun before getting back in, he said. When the officers approached, Mr Scott got out of the car with the gun again and police opened fire after deeming him a threat.
He was not the suspect police were originally looking for, Mr Trietley confirmed.
Brentley Vinson, the officer who shot Mr Scott, has been placed on administrative leave as part of police protocol.
A woman claiming to be Mr Scott’s daughter has contested the police department’s account in a Facebook video, the Charlotte Observer reports.
She says Mr Scott was unarmed and reading while he was waiting for his son’s school bus and was tasered before being shot four times.
She also said he was disabled. Police have not responded to the claims but say they recovered a gun at the scene.
- Statement on inaccurate FoxNews.com opinion piece
- Qatar’s Foreign Ministry expresses surprise at including country’s name in Yemen War
- International Court of Justice rules that Qatar can challenge airspace restrictions at the International Civil Aviation Organization
- Qatar participates in 9th Session of Arab-Chinese Forum at ministerial level
- Qatar’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs announces country’s new pledge of US$100m to alleviate suffering of Syrian people